Sunday, September 29, 2013

Doing Without

Doing without makes 
the satisfaction of a need 
or even a want so sweet.
Thus, a hot shower after months 
of no running water is transformed
into a religious experience.
Sleeping on the ground turns the 
bed you take for granted a welcoming 
embrace. The first meal after fasting,
 even if it's only bread and wine, 
tastes better than the fanciest dish 
at the best restaurant. 
That first kiss after a separation,
the epitome of bliss.
The smell of the surf and the sound
of the waves and birds, after too
long inland, like oil to the Tin Man's joints.
But if I had my way, I would have
hot water every day, good food,
long kisses before climbing
into bed, the window open to the
sound of the ocean and its breeze
upon our skin, so close we cannot tell
where we begin and end. I would
take consistency over heightened
sweetness, if I could. I'm greedy
like that. But I am grateful, too.
For hot, running water, food, 
a bed and pillow,  trips to the beach, f
or as many kisses as I'll have until I die.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment