Thursday, July 24, 2014

Face Time

Two eyes, two ears, a nose and mouth,
hair in assorted colors and amounts and styles...
you would think we'd look more similar, but
each face speaks its own vocabulary,
its expressions turning one  from beauty to a witch
with just a glare, transforming a rather
plain and unassuming sort into a goddess with a grin.
The eyes can speak a friendly welcome or
they warn to stay away. The tiniest of
muscles by the mouth can shout sarcastically
without the slightest sound. I'm glad you
know the language of my face, have taken time
to study it, becoming so proficient that when
I am quietest, you still read the words from deep
inside my heart, written there upon my eyelids,
spoken in the crinkling of my nose.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment