Saturday, July 19, 2014

Beatle Mania

Mine was bright pink, actually.
When I was just a little girl, we lipsynched
to the Beatles in the living room, my sister always
Paul, and I was George. Sharon and Rebecca
covered John and Ringo, and we knew the words
to all the songs. I had a Beatles wig and bright
pink Beatles wallet, and my mother drove a carload
to the drive-in all the way in Asheville when their
movie first came out. How many mothers would
have done that, for a group of silly star-struck girls,
to make a memory for 50 years? We knew the words
to all the songs, and when I sat tonight with friends
and granddaughter and listened to a band that sang
them, I could sing along to quite a few. Another
memory made, in another century. The music,
older than a lot of those who danced and kept the
beat, made us all about the same age as we listened.
Couples on the dance floor were 15 again
as the Beatles sang once more.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment