Friday, September 30, 2022

After the Storm

I should be happier, I think,

to dodge a hurricane that only

skirted us, stole power for awhile

and rained a million branches in the yard.

I should be dancing, gleeful

that the sun is out again.

The weather people could explain

the dryness of the air, now cooler

than it's been in months

but who can tell me why

the storm just glanced our way

yet gut-punched neighbors

on the other coast.  It couldn't be

because we're better over here.

My sins alone would merit harsher stripes 

across our backs. Perhaps if I were out in space 

I'd see the need for balance on the planet

and the only way was shifting sands and

rivers down the street.

We think we're so important, all the things

we buy, the things we do, the homes we build. 

Everything can blow away and does,

when wind is motivated, focused, 

dedicated to its path.

We're all exposed. 

Bad things can happen. Often do.

Every silver lining has a cloud,

but then again, the wind's not angry

at the moment. No one's angry

at the moment.

Even where they've lost so much,

the water lapping against the walls

of flooded homes is a peaceful song.



(c) 2022. Ellen Gillette





No comments:

Post a Comment