Monday, April 25, 2022

The List

When he asked if he was on The List,

I knew his name gets written down a lot.

The trouble kids, the ones who miss

directions, make mistakes. get caught

on iPads watching football videos, 

or talking, maybe on their phones,

if they are really sneaky. Teachers know

them well and talk of these with groans.

I tell him no, but add that there's still time 

before the bell, in case it was a matter of his pride,

wondering much later if it's also true that I'm

on someone's list, because I made them cry,

or let my anger get the best of me. impatience off the charts,

frustrated, bored, annoyed or out of sorts,

my actions not in step with what is in my heart

or worse, my heart itself is also on report.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2022



No comments:

Post a Comment