Friday, February 27, 2015

(I'm Just Saying)

http://benpfaff.org/pictures/sandcastle/
So what if he is cheating,
if she sleeps around, they're broken,
someone's angry, they have lied
too many times: it's not your problem,
not your issue, not your job to fix it,
make it better, soften hearts and turn it
into circumstances you're more comfy with.
No matter what they've done, it wasn't done
to you, of no effect, your schedule wasn't
in the least disturbed, you're disappointed
and disgruntled, feel affronted, feel appointed
by the heavens to confront and say the
thing that brings them to their knees, repent,
and then - and this is so important, when you
roll it round and round inside your head -
say "Thank you! You are wonderful!" (when
what you are is only getting in the way). Stay
out of it, or if you want to be the mouth of God,
convinced he needs to use you as his instrument
to Set Things Right, then show his love. That's
all you can be trusted with, all that his grace
and mercy have prepared you for. Show his love.
And stay the hell away from things that aren't
your business any way, just saying. 'cause I'm
watching, and it's pretty obvious that what you're
doing doesn't work, but then again, it's not my
business what you do, how deep you dig the hole.
Just don't expect my help, I much prefer to
use my shovel at the beach, where anything I
build in my imagination washes out to sea before
it hurts too many people whom I love.



(c) Ellen Gillette, 2015

I've noticed that a lot of people decide to be God's mouthpiece, except that God isn't mean-spirited, and they use their Rightness as an excuse to be. Maybe if we wept over the broken and lost first, we could be trusted to help them find their way back. Or maybe we should just "love the hell out of them." the Law of Life one of my students wrote about recently. I dare say that crushing someone never brought him or her closer to a good decision. That isn't to say we don't sometimes need to let people make bad ones, but seriously. some caution is needed before we jump in with Better Ideas, or possibly, handwriting on the wall. God's got this, whatever it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment