Friday, December 5, 2014

Mother's Milk

Her baby's only five months old
http://www.magforwomen.com/
7-benefits-of-breastfeeding-for-mothers/
but she's about to cut him off.
He's cutting teeth, and clearly she's
afraid that he will bite her as he feeds
and sucks the nutrients she's made
without an ounce of effort, miracle
of milk and mammaries.
So many happy memories for me,
times four, there's nothing like it.
but I'd be hard put to put it into words,
the magic of a baby nursing
at the breast, exchange of more than
milk and comfort, love and touch.
the heat, hormonal chemistry of
feeling good, the satisfaction of
the rolls of fat around those baby legs,
dregs drained at two-hour intervals,
then four, then more and add the
cereal, the little jars of peas and carrots.
Starting off, though, you will always know 
it was your personal ambrosia nourishing
this perfect little part, the best of who
you are. I didn't tell her to keep nursing -
not my business or my place.
But I am thankful for those months
when no one held or fed my babies
quite like me. 



(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment