Sunday, April 7, 2013

In the Moment

Best advice I've ever heard
aside from "Love your neighbor as yourself"
came courtesy of Deborah J and worked its way
into my heart, popping off my mental shelf
in little spurts of inspiration every day.
Stay in the moment, Debbie said,
to actors on a stage but like most all
such wisdom this has broader application.
At this moment, I am caught up on my bills
and prayers, no dreadful thoughts
for several seconds, committed no great
sins against Big Ten Commandments for
even longer. Limited by lack of temptations,
for this moment I am Right, capital R,
as all good Southern girls were raised to be.
There's comfort in that, knowing I will fall,
and fall apart, no doubt any time,
but right this moment? I am fine.
There's no one cursing me by text or phone,
I haven't let a person down. Supper's in
the oven, wine is waiting in the glass,
tomorrow's possibilities lay like sparkling
specks on troubled waters, but for just
this moment, I'm content, and dry,
upon the shore. Tribulations, stresses
that press in relentlessly are kept at bay
and in this moment I am blessed.



(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment