Sunday, February 3, 2013

Anticipation

I could prove it, if I had a grant,
had six or seven letters
following my name.
Without those, it's just my thoughts
without the proper data,
elaborate studies
with credit due yours truly.
Experiments on random
people unaware
of making history.
Cause and effect's old news
but anticipation causes boost, I'd bet,
of hormones or
something similar.
Giddiness, the fidgets, elevated heart rate,
enhanced state of mind, a week or more
before we get to do
exactly what we wish to do,
want to do, plan to do, dream of.
Event arrives, no big surprise,
joy meter's off the chart,
our hearts unable to contain the bliss.
Happens to me every time,
the reason why I space events ahead,
plan things I'll circle
on the calendar and draw a smiley face.
Looking forward
helps me focus on the present
in a way I can't explain.
Someone else will have to do the math
and publish something
scholarly and scientific,
but you heard it here first.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment