Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Sudan's Protector

Sudan is the last male white rhino.
On the planet. He is guarded from
poachers, and there is a fundraiser
online to keep him safe.
http://www.gofundme.com/olpejeta
I get up for work in the dark,
aware of the coolness that will
turn to blazing heat so soon.
My wife holds me tightly as
I leave, the scent of her hair
a good luck charm, I hope.
"I am glad you do not have
the night shift," she whispers,
and looks up into my eyes.
The night is full of danger,
sounds that have no form.
"Forgive me, but some days
I wish it would die, just die
of natural causes, because
you are not safe." I pat her
back and shush her. She does
not mean it. Nothing that has
lived so long, no tribe, no
species, language, hope, or
love should die because of
evil in the world. Sudan
must not be killed because
I failed him. Sudan must not
be killed to line the pockets
of a devil-man, to fuel
ignorance.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment