Sunday, November 2, 2014

Back on the Grid

Back on the grid with all that that includes,
hot water, lights, a pile of mail that screams
to be gone through, unpacking will just have
to wait until tomorrow. So, did you miss me?
Huh? Did you? I am two days tardy with my poetry
and did that matter even just a little tiny bit (a phrase
that only Southerners employ)? While I took a chance
and danced off down the road to check my sanity
(and found it as I watched the sun dip slowly down below
the Gulf) you carried on quite nicely...working, playing,
all those shows on the TV, and church this morning
(if you thought to set your clocks back).  So, did you?
Miss me? It will take a little time to catch up on
the laundry and the literary leanings I've ignored for
three whole days, but call it research. New people
to describe, and funny plants, and how I almost lost
my cheer when I discovered that I'd left the ketchup
back across the coast. A person can't enjoy a hot dog,
even charcoal broiled upon an open fire, without
a dollop of that condiment, but neighbors there across
the way came to my rescue. That would not have
happened, had I stayed here on the grid.




(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment