Saturday, May 10, 2014

Jake and the Misguided Matchmaking

My great-nephew Jake
Jake's eleven on the outside,
older, though, in terms of things
like football, which he plays and
knows about as much as anyone
I've ever heard. He's lacking ordinary
boundaries you often find in
kids, some hesitation that prevents
their talking thoughtfully to strangers,
deep and thoughtful conversations about
things that maybe never should be spoken
in the first place. Jake will do that. \
And today, he walked up to a guy
who'd talked my ear off at the market
and opined he had a crush on me!
The guy was mortified, perhaps,
or maybe not, but I would guess he
won't be coming back to talk my ear
off at the market any more, so I am
grateful. Jake has boldness on and off
the field and although age will temper
it with wisdom and with prudence, hopefully
he never loses the enthusiasm at his very
core. Making matches for his married great-aunt,
yes, that inclination should be put aside
but not his observation that she'd be a catch
for someone special if she suddenly
became available again.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

I told Jake I would post his photo on my blog...he's a handsome fellow, isn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment