Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Found Time

Unexpected day off with the hours
spreading out before me like a spotless
bridal runner, friends and family perched
on either side to watch me as I pass,
but I'm not wearing white today, just
shorts and faded t-shirt from a show
performed some 15 years ago, not hanging
on my father's arm to join the man I
want to wed. Instead I vacuum, mop, then do
a little dusting, put a chicken in the oven
and reflect that it's been time well spent.
Not spent the way I'd choose, or how I'd
planned, but I can see where I have been,
find pleasure in completing all my tasks.
Not only that, the sun has only just begun
his journey back into the west, the rest
still open wide to fill productively
or not, however that I please
(with certain limitations).




(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment