Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Roadside Beggars

Not to denigrate the truly needy; I just
liked this picture. When I worked
at a church in NC we got a lot
of foot traffic, people asking for
help. We tried to sort out the obvious
frauds & be responsible with our
funds, but we also tried to help those
in need whether temporary, or chronic.
Sometimes we all need help.
Doesn't mean everyone asking is
someone like we saw on the corner.
The family standing by the road
was well-fed, even overweight,
which made me drive past quickly
without reading what their little
cardboard sign was heralding,
something-something-baby,
food-no-money-please-please-help.
Before I even thought to turn the
moment into learning opportunity
for teenaged grand beside me
she piped up and said, "They're lying.
They take drugs and leave the little
girl alone," and I was sort of stunned,
not that such a sad thing would occur,
but that she knew the details,
knew their names. That they knew hers.




(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment