Thursday, December 12, 2013

High School Charmer

"Do you have a daughter?" asked the high school boy,
whom I will choose to think was pouring on the charm
because he could, and did it well. Smiling I replied
that\I have two, as well as sons. Knowing where his
interest would be truly, though, I volunteered the fact
that daughter's daughter is 15 and comely. (I said
"beautiful" because we rarely talk the same way that
we write.) He's the kind of boy I hope she meets one day, polite and working hard in school, respectful, strong, and handsome. Hard to think that one day she will marry. Born when I was 40, young to be a Nana, and
we're finding that this world is ill-equipped to handle her
in puberty and I in menopause, sharing house and stress
and all the rest! I suppose we're doing fine, this woman-child
and I, at least we are this minute. Taking just one minute
at a time, we both survive.



(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment