Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Welcome to a new adventure!


Welcome to my new blog! A good friend challenged me to write a poem a day...an encouragement to develop as a poet and writer. Can I do it? We shall see.


Xbox Battle

Fierce warrior,
commander of troops and weaponry,
fighting crime in backstreet alleys,
revisiting Desert Storm,
saving the planet from aliens and zombies.
He calls out complicated commands,
encouraging comments,
the random cuss word…
to be expected from someone of his rank, perhaps,
but he’s shouting now,
angry with disappointing soldiers from a distant base:
“I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU DID THAT! WHAT THE—“

Too close to the skirmish,
I hear every word. “Hey!” I yell.

“Hold on a sec,” he radios enemies
of unknown age and location,
a dramatic sigh for effect.
Shutting the door, a muffled fight resumes
against strangers in a common theater of war.
Masters, kings, generals, gods.

Popping in headphones of my own,
jazz drowning out explosions 20 feet away,
I return to my work with a grumble.
Nine-year-olds should play outside.

©2012, Ellen Gillette

No comments:

Post a Comment