Monday, July 23, 2012

A Sonnet about Baldness

Yul Brynner in "The Kind and I." Oh, yeah.
I dreamed that I was in a small wig store
Where a man with a terrible toupee
Worked. I suggested that, instead, he try
Going bald. No sooner did I leave that
Dream, than I dreamt myself in another
Wig store, with another man, but this time
He sported an appalling comb-over.
With evangelistic fervor, again
I heralded the benefits of Bald.
What does this mean? Has anyone ever
Even seen men clerking in wig stores, let
Alone two in a row with dreadful hair
Choices? My husband will never go bald;
His genes are not inclined that way at all.



Sonnets of old adhered to a strict rhyme pattern with 10 syllables a line in iambic pentamenter (da DUM da DUM) and 14 lines. This is 14 lines, with 10 syllables of whatever the heck I wanted to write and not a rhyme in sight. Weird dreams, though, coming back to back -- or bald to bald -- like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment