Friday, July 10, 2015

Silent Heart

It wasn't planned, but this afternoon, I
found myself singing along with my mother
at the piano, a room of her friends joining
in on oldies. This song was just one of them.
I want to write the words
that tell the world what's down
there deep, but deep-down words
cannot be coaxed before their time.
I can read them, but in whispers
never loudly, a breath beyond just
mouthing, pantomime, like shadow
play upon the wall at night.
They're not quite ready to come out
and see the light of day. Until they are,
a hundred poets lend their talent
to interpret, lyricists, the music on the radio.
How do they know what's down
there deep, how do the words
of love songs written long ago
give golden voice to fiery longings of
a silent heart that hasn't learned to speak?



(c) Ellen Gillette, 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment