Saturday, March 7, 2015

Happy Endings

I love a happy ending,
and it's what I want for her,
and him, and them.

It's what I want for me.

I just don't know what
it will look like, yet,
for her, and him,
and them, or what's

in store for me.

I could be pious, point
to heaven and eternity
as what I want for her,
and him, and them,

the ultimate I want for me.

But I'm not any readier
for that to happen, yet,
to her, or him, or them,

to me.

It doesn't really matter;
no one changes what
will happen just by wishing,
God will do what he will do
to her, and him, and them,

and me

just as he's always
done and maybe we will welcome
it and maybe we will shake our
fists and scream and yell

and maybe what he brings
will mean a happy ending for
someone we didn't even know.

But just as likely there will be
a happy ending yet for her,
for him, for them, the odds
are pretty good.

And if there's pow'r in prayer,
the odds are also good for me.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment